What someone asking the question, “is this a need or a want?”, is likely trying to do is reframe your definitions of need and want, typically with the goal of constraining the definition of need, as most peoples unconscious perception of what they need is vague allowing it be manipulated by marketing or transient emotions to encompass things they might not even really want. However, there can be to narrow a definition of ‘need’ as well. Needs aren’t purely about survival, that might be how to define it if we were machines, but we have a soul, and souls need more than food, water, and shelter.
without further ado, a few other ways we can look at “need”:
- I need this to feel safe.
- I need this to feel loved.
- I need this to feel mentally balanced.
- I need this to feel emotionally healthy.
- I need this to feel like you care about me.
- I need this to feel like I am fulfilling my purpose.